Mission & History
The St. Pius School Community strives to follow Jesus as we Study, Pray and Serve.
The staff of St. Pius Catholic School is committed to educating students in a Christian setting that promotes rich Catholic traditions. We strive to lead our students to a deeper understanding of and personal relationship with our Lord. We believe all children can learn. We strive to educate the whole child in mind, body, and spirit. By implementing a variety of instructional methods, we impart to our students the knowledge necessary to be successful in their future educational endeavors and to be positive examples of Catholics in the world around them. We model our love of Jesus and commitment to learning in a Christ-centered environment in union with our families and community.
St. Pius X was founded on land once held by the Potawatomi Indian Tribe, and later claimed by the Wyandots. In an area where French fur traders and missionaries traveled, the seed of St. Pius X Parish was planted and on August 10, 1950, ground was broken to build St. Pius X Church. Before the church was built, Mass was held at the McCann School. On August 5, 1953 three Adrian Dominican sisters moved into the newly constructed convent on Longtin and began to prepare for a new school year in a new school. On August 13th another ground breaking was held for an eight-classroom elementary school.
In September, St. Pius V School opened with just first grade. Classes were held in the Social Hall as construction on the school continued. Our school building was completed and officially dedicated by Cardinal Mooney on September 15, 1954. The new school consisted of rooms 1-8, an office and housed grades 1, 2, and 3. Three more sections were added in later years for a total of 32 classrooms.
Although St. Pius Parish is dedicated to St. Pius X the school was dedicated to St. Pius V, a Dominican priest of the 1500’s who was known for loving very simply and prayerfully and showing special concern for the needy and the sick. He is best remembered for a number of institutions that continue today including the founding of the idea of diocesan seminaries, 40 hours of devotions and the establishment of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (better know as religious formation) which provides religious education for young people.
The school name was simplified to St. Pius School in 1974 to eliminate the confusion that often arose because of the difference from the church name. At the present time our school is known as St. Pius Catholic School to show our union with our parish and the Catholic Church.